Sunday 17 July 2011

Strong women?

Someone directed me to this article on The Frailty Myth: http://www.colettedowling.com/work1.htm
There are some interesting points in there but it only touches on something that I've been thinking a lot about lately. I am not that concerned about what men think of me but I am increasingly bothered by female opinions.

People are entitled to have their bodies however the heck they want. If you are a parent, I would argue that you have a requirement to keep yourself in fairly decent health so you can look after your offspring but beyond that, it's up to the individual. Want to be obese? Go for it - if it makes you feel good. If you prefer the aesthetics of being underweight, again fine - if it makes you happy. What makes me feel good and happy is being fit and strong. The only negative thing about it is that people seem to feel free to pass comment on my body. Granted, I do live in the heart attack capital of Europe (perhaps even the world) so I do look noticeably different from the average joe walking down the streets. Being different does not, however, make me public property.

I have mentioned my Zumba class before and how much I enjoy it. I nearly didn't go back after my first time. I enjoyed the class and was on a high as I made my way out. As I got to the door, I heard a woman behind me say "Christ, would you look at the muscles on that!" in a tone that definitely didn't suggest admiration. Way to rain on my parade lady!

I was grabbed on the arm around mile 9 of a half marathon by a couple (a man and a woman). The woman wanted to know how I got my legs so 'horribly muscley'. Really? We are running a race - why are you surprised that I have leg muscles? You do too, they are just less visible. Furthermore, why do you feel the need to discuss this? My body is not your business.

My last boyfriend proclaimed that he loved my strength but did so in a way that made me feel about two inches tall: "Most men would hate it, but I think your muscles are great" Said that way, I'm not even going to hear the second half of that sentence.

Acquiring the mental strength to ignore all this has been far more difficult than making physical strength gains! For the record, at the moment I am not seriously ripped. I look athletic but that's about it. Unless I'm in my bikini you will likely not be aware that there is some serious weight training going on. I still look very much like a woman so the fact that I look different enough for comments to be made is a source of discomfort. Or rather, I should say, the fact that people make comments is a source of discomfort.

It's more than just an aesthetic issue. There's an undercurrent of strength being a masculine trait and thus not suitable/desirable for a female. More worryingly, much of the opposition and disapproval I come up against comes from women. It's a horribly pervasive view and, I think, deeply unhelpful when it comes to training. Muscle mass naturally declines as we age and ten million reps with an itty bitty pink dumbbell and some cardio will not help to prevent that. Lift some decent weight and you can maintain a more shapely figure for longer. I know which option I prefer. Still the fear of "bulking up" persists. It's bonkers.

So, what do we think peeps? Have you come up against any prejudice with your training or have people been supportive?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Hippolyta! TOTALLY in agreement!!!! I love it how you think!

    Well, you'd never believe this, but I've been reading about this topic all day long! Seriously! It was about 93 degrees F. today and I'm sitting in air conditioning thinking about the metamessages men and women send to women about who they are supposed to be and not be, particularly about being the "weaker sex."

    And, I totally agree that the worst of these insidious awful messages are often from women! I just read a fitness article that basically told women to start certain weightlifting exercises with 2 pound dumbbells! That is so insulting to women from women!

    And, I think on my blog I have alluded (or shouted it out loud) to the fact that I really despise these kinds of messages that I get in the free weights area from certain guys.

    But, even more so, I worry that women really don't feel as though they even have a choice. Many women I know will not touch a toe in the free weights area of my gym. It is too taboo. But then they can never really experience the empowerment of free weights at a challenging level. And these are probably the women who need it the most.

    Well, expect an upcoming post about this from me too. :D

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. LJ I totally agree. There's a lot of very green eyed people out there and lots of people who feel the need to attack what they don't understand.

    It's not just women either, I think anyone who exercises will likely have experienced comments from work colleagues about how dull and pointless and an evening spent inthe gym/pool/track is.... That is before they head home to watch eastenders and eat a bag of chips.

    Personally I have always found 'fit' women.... Well.... Fit I suppose while I find the idea of a girl with a fag in one hand and a beer in the other repulsive, each to their own.

    I'm not sure what your last boyfriend meant tbh. I don't think I'm unusual in finding fit/toned/ripped girls good. Don't most 'fit' guys want a girl that shares similar values/outlook/diet/exercise/etc?

    Please try not to worry to much about the haters... They're not worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marion, I thought you might have some thoughts on this subject! Two pound dumbbells? That's not even functional - groceries and children weigh far more than that and we have to carry them about most days. Scrawny bodies are all over the films and magazines and there is a fat acceptance movement. Strength training needs to be normalized and encouraged too. Look forward to reading your blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Sam. I think you might be right about people attacking things they don't understand but I just find it odd that eating rubbish, getting drunk and watching crap on TV are all deemed acceptable uses of time while training is just seen as weird. Who'd have thought being fit would make you a deviant? ;)

    I always thought that 'fit' guys would be happy to have a girlfriend with a similar outlook but it seems I was wrong :( Apparently there are limits to what's acceptable. It's not like I'm a big scary muscle woman so it's just a bit disheartening.

    In any case, I enjoy my training so I'm not giving it up. I guess I just need to try and not care what anyone else thinks but that's easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete