Tuesday 12 July 2011

Wonky donkey

I tend to train with free weights. Occasionally, I'll use a machine but that's really only for a warm up. I would rather give them a miss since I know my stronger side (which has always been my right side) takes more than it's fair share of the strain. It's something I've been aware of during my pull ups challenge as well - when I get into the higher reps, my dominant side is definitely pulling harder. I guess I was hoping it wouldn't make much difference - wrong!

I've been noticing lately that my right side is failing quicker than my left - biceps curls? Left arm keeps going. Dumbbell press? Right arm cops out. Bench press - who's that sagging over there? Why, it's Mr Right Side! This is odd ... because I am right-handed, very much so.

When I first started running, I quickly became aware of my imbalances because they led to injury. I focussed more on single leg exercises (e.g. pistols) till there was a bit more parity in my leg strength and I've (touch wood) had little bother since. Obviously, I applied the same principle to my upper body to get my left side in line with my right. I suspect that I overdid it, suspicions that were confirmed last night.

Despite my general reluctance to be in front of a camera, I have committed to taking regular Progress Pics. Make no mistake, it's not an easy thing to do on your own! It requires a camera with a timer and the ability to pop a perfect lat spread in a two second time frame. Anyway, much cursing and swearing later, I had my photos and there's a definite difference. My left arm is now bigger than my right! And my lats on the right side are bigger than on the left. I think that's where my pulling strength is coming from on the pull ups. I'm now going to have to think beyond "Whee! I can do pull ups" and work out how to balance things up again. I'm a bit peeved to be honest. If I'm ever going to compete, it won't be for a good few years yet (and I will have to buy a big bucket of confidence from somewhere) but even so, I would like ot have good body symmetry. But on the plus side, I'm most definitely making strength gains again. I'm easing up slowly - managed another 10 lbs on my bench press for a couple of sets of decent reps. I feel like I could have gone heavier but I was on my own. I like to have one of my main men with me to spot when I go heavier for the first time. They may be cheeky boys but they have their uses and in amongst all the ridiculous bum jokes, they do actually have some useful advice to give.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hippolyta! What a great post! That is really crazy how we wrote about the very same thing--and it is *not* a typical fitness topic. I really couldn't find much about it when I googled.

    Oh, about your right side being weaker and you being right-handed. Well, my left side is weaker and I'm left-handed! I wonder if we started some sort of research here! :D

    I'm going to add a P.S. on the end of my post and put a link to your post.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so organised! I didn't even bother to google, I just went with "Huh, that's weird. Let's write about it!"

    Has your left side always been weaker? Because right-side weakness is a new thing for me. Maybe it's an over-use thing from carrying too much in my purse ;) I might read into this a bit further.

    Will let you know if I have any interesting findings :)

    ReplyDelete