Monday 1 August 2011

Space Time

It's after midnight so technically we are now at T-8 and it's time for a progress report. I don't take measurements every week since I think it might be discouraging. I can tell from the feel of my body though, that things are moving in the right direction. Truthfully, this is more than I deserve. I was thoroughly distracted last week and thus devoted less time and energy to this challenge than I intended. I completed all my scheduled cardio but did miss one strength session. That said, the strength training I did do was completed with intensity! It's been a long time since I've had DOMS that's lasted for days ... and I'd forgotten how satisfying it is. Although I've been talking about this whole challenge in terms of aesthetics, there is more to it than that. Increasing strength is always a goal! I'm pleased that my strength is getting back to what I consider reasonable levels. I'm back to pressing the full stack on the leg press machine at the gym (not using my usual gym and this current one has no squat rack which sucks), bench press is up, pull ups have improved - I'm pushing, pulling, pressing and rowing better than I have in a while.

I think this is partly due to my current diet (I'll do a separate post about that since I have lots to say on the matter!). I'm eating really clean at the moment - lean protein, unlimited veg, good fats, no sugar. For the past couple of weeks, I've been eating carbs in the form of oats, wholegrains and fruit. I eat fairly small amounts of carbs and for the next two weeks I'll be lowering this further and what I do have will be timed around my workouts. I know people always think about carbs in terms of energy and fuel but really all calories are fuel and carbs in high quantities mess horribly with my energy levels and increase my appetite. Personally I can live without the mid-afternoon slump and the desire to consume the entire kitchen in a single sitting. The other reason for lowering my carbs is to get leaner again. Some people can maintain a nice lean body while carbing it up big style- not me!

The one thing that I really struggled badly with over the past week was dehydration. I literally felt dessicated at times - my mouth was like a desert. I certainly thought I was taking on plenty of fluids but I guess my body begged to differ. So, more fluids for me this week.

I spent some time this evening trying to take some progress pics - taking photos of your own body parts is surprisingly difficult! It's tricky too with lighting. I can't imagine that my son would want to help out by wielding the camera but this means never getting pics taken when there's decent light since I have to wait till he's in bed. These ones are here as placemarkers till I get better ones that show more of what's going on muscle wise. Who knew photography would be so hard ...



... Obviously the hardest part is not making a stupid face!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hippolyta! This is the muscle you are talking about that made people say rude things? You look fabulous! Plus, you're capable too--which counts even more.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, it's Anneke. If you have some free time, you might find this interesting: http://youtu.be/eREuZEdMAVo

    It's a lecture given by a vegetarian scientist who discovered that people fall in two groups when it comes to what is, in essence, the Atkins diet. It actually works well for some people (while others, like me, would probably be extremely miserable on it). Some people run better on carbs. I reckon you're not one of them. Biology is wonderful. The lecture is wonderful, though, and well worth watching.

    ReplyDelete